Tuesday 24 February 2009

Voices

This week we focused on the many characteristics there are of a single space, or building. There is one afternoon of my childhood that stands out to me when thinking of different spaces. I was swinging on the swing set in my backyard and looking at my barn, my
 house, and the surrounding space (my yard) and I thought to myself how each room in those spaces seemed to be a completely different world. Each room made you feel completely
 different, and made you notice different things. What I was actually seeing then were the different moments of a space. This week, while drawing my assigned building I was forced to notice again the small moments that I saw before. I started to see all the parts that make up a whole. We are focusing on the small parts of a whole in more detail this week, while drawing the little things that are unique to our buildings.
What I expect to find when looking at the unique parts of my building are things that show duality or, “an instance of opposition or contrast between to concepts, or two aspects of something.”-Webster’s Dictionary. The presence, or existence, of these moments of duality
creates a balance in the space. We as humans need to be directed, and these moments of duality attract and lead us to them, leading us through the space.  ("There is no fixed set of proportions in the parts;...and no standard relationship between solid and void." -Robert Branner, Gothic Architecture, 1961) I disagree with this quote from ourUnderstanding Architecture book because one of the dualities shown in the baths of the diocletian is between what is solid and what is void. This duality is what separates the different sections, and the people, of the baths. We, as people walk throughout the void spaces and are lead by what is solid. 
The presence of these dualities leading us through a space helps you to think about the metric, or system, of the space. System is a great word to describe a space. There are so many details that are arranged either for structure, function, or decoration that make a space into a single component, and they all work together in a very specific way.
The duality of these moments are very obvious and distinguishable, and therefore they connect with each other. We are lead from moment to moment through a space. The baths of the Diocletian were discussed in length during our architecture history class and from
 everything we’ve learned I deduce that they are a great example of all of these words working together. The 32 acres that make up the baths of the Diocletian are all connected by the 
moments in each section of the baths. For example, the concert halls, and the sculpture gardens are connected through their central common area, just like the food court of the mall acts as a connector, and connection zone for the rest of a modern day mall. It is a space for commerce, entertainment, and speeches.
These specific moments, and dualities included in the baths are there to express the wealth and power of the people in side. This is most prominent when we see the division between men, women, and slaves. "Roman life focused on temporal comforts and pleasures, as the Roman bath well illustrates." (Roth 207)
The metric of the baths, each section linked by water, but still divided into a section shows the dualities even more clearly by dividing the people along with each section. If these divisions don’t create enough of a presence, the gorgeous tiles and stone on the floors,
 ceilings, and walls will. The mosaics and tiles tell another layer of stories of their creator for their intended audience, the common people. Simultaneously acting as decoration and helping with function; the tiles make for an easy clean up throughout the day. The basilica form of the baths was a great place for speeches, and commerce. 
The baths are a very well developed precedent for our modern day construction. There are many different qualities of the several structures that are included in the baths of the
 diocletian that we've taken and manipulated, or expanded upon and reused. 


IMAGES


The above image is a plan view of the baths of the diocletian. It is a great depiction of the void and solid spaces that i spoke about earlier and also shows the metric, or system of the space.


The four images directly above are images i've included to show some of the moments one might experience in a space. I drew these for my drawing class. I found this moment immediately above in particular to be most significant because i found it while walking down the corridor and peering into one of the open doors. I decided to sit in the hallway and draw what i could see of the room through the doorway.

The image above is an image i've included to represent duality. I came up with this idea of sun versus moon while in my astronomy class. It's also reminded me of our black and white projects we made for our studio class that represent so many different dualities, such as good and evil and, knowledge and naiveté.


I included the above image as an image of presence. The use of color, and the images depicted are very unique and strong in the sense that your eyes are lead all around the picture and there are never left wanting. 


The image below shows a great deal of the color and tiles that are included in the baths of the diocletian. These tiles acted as a precedent for our modern day use of color and materials. We have learned a lot about what how design well on many levels from the baths. This image also depicts the very strong presence that the baths had too. The baths are so unique and colorful that they cannot be unnoticed or forgotten. 
Image taken from:
http://k53.pbase.com/o6/00/132800/1/77661740.ntkzSqTN.IMG_9886.jpg


This image shows the baths of the diocletian from an exterior view. It shows how different the separate spaces are. The baths spread out over a vast area of land, and the different sections are made in different qualities and materials for different functions.
Image taken from: 

From our focus on the different moments, and aspects of a space i have taken my knowledge one step further in that i have trained my eye to notice details of a space that have very specific purposes, or are unique to that space. I have noticed that the way i perceive buildings and spaces has changed. I am able to put into words what i notice, and i am able to recognize how different things that may be included in a space make me feel different ways. For example, in my astronomy classroom there is no natural lighting i always walk out of the classroom drained and unhappy. In my studio space i experience the exact opposite. During the day there is little to no artificial lighting and i am productive and genuinely happy.  I can't wait to notice more and more details in the buildings i experience in my day to day life. 

No comments: